NAMED: annoying error in syslog

Alessandro FAGLIA a.faglia at farmol.it
Tue Aug 28 08:19:43 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:NAMED: annoying error in syslog
From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
To: bind-users at isc.org
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 04:26:17 GMT+0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)

> The only question in my mind is: why did the record already exist? If
> DHCPD has complete control over the entry, in theory it should have
> deleted it when the lease expired or was relinquished by the client.

The default lease time is 24h for my known clients:
>   default-lease-time 86400;
>   max-lease-time 86400;
BTW, I use ISC DHCP3 server 3.0.14-13 binary for Debian Etch.

If I give
# cat /var/log/syslog | grep DHCPRELEASE | wc -l
the result is 0.

I guess this means that my clients (a mix of Windows 2k SP4 and XP Pro
SP2) don't issue the release of the lease. Is it normal?

> But, in practice, I know that there are many variables involved, e.g.
> maybe the client was powered off ungracefully and didn't have time to
> issue a DHCPRELEASE. There are many other possibilities, all of which
> fall within the range of "normal"...

Clients are regularly powered off at the end of the day.

Regards,
--Alessandro