BIND Error in Event Viewer

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Aug 15 02:47:29 UTC 2007

ken at mtnhosting.com wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> When you say a client, I must confess, am not quite sure what you mean.
>
> I only use BIND for my DNS and do not use any other software. If as you said
> a client is trying to update my zone and am probably right in disallowing
> it, then why does it keep repeating its attempt? Can you please elaborate on
> the "client" and what it could be. In there a workaround this?

Windows since Windows 2000 all register themselves with the DNS of the
domain name that they have set up. They do this at least every 24 hours
if they succeed and if they fail they will retry after something like 5
minutes, then 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, etc.. You get the idea. If
you recognize this address you can do something about it if you have
access to it. There's an option on the setup table to turn off
registration. You have to go into the advanted TCP/IP settings and in
the DNS table you can uncheck the "Register this connection in DNS".
That's what's going on. This is what I got from the reverse:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
49.113.246.69.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN    PTR
c-69-246-113-49.hsd1.mi.comcast.net.

If you recognize it you may be able to do something about it.

Danny