DNS rebinding: prevention?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 7 04:33:32 UTC 2007

I tend to agree. Trying to teach a firewall about all of the nuances of
parsing DNS replies is basically reinventing the wheel. We already have
a capable DNS-response-parser in the resolver, why not use it?

If a feature like this were implemented in BIND, though, I think the
"safe" thing to do, from a security standpoint, is to give a REFUSED
response if it were to otherwise give "forbidden" answers (address
records that can be legally dropped, e.g. from the Additional Section in
most circumstances, should simply be dropped). No way should BIND or any
other nameserver implementation give *partial* RRsets in responses, or a
NODATA response instead of an answerful response, just because the
administrator declared that certain addresses were "bad". While this is
"safe" from a security standpoint, it could easily break applications
and/or subsystems, turning otherwise-successful lookups into
irretrievably-failed ones. The documentation would need to clearly state
USE THIS WITH EXTREME CAUTION.

In my personal opinion, this "rebinding" problem is really the fault of
the crappy browser security model, not DNS, _per_se_, which has never
presumed that any address record is going to persist for any arbitrary
length of time. There's no "pinning" in DNS, never has been. So, any
such feature by BIND or other DNS implementations just buys some time
until the Security geniuses can redesign their deficient model.

- Kevin