formerr for some queries until named restarted

Tony Earnshaw tonni at hetnet.nl
Mon Aug 6 05:26:52 UTC 2007

Jason Grant skrev, on 06-08-2007 07:00:

> I have an ADSL modem that can operate as a nameserver, albeit without a
> caching capability.
>
> To introduce some caching on my home network, I've set up bind9.4 on
> fedora7 as shown below.  It forwards to the modem when it does not have
> an answer in its cache, and it is running in IPV4 mode with the -4
> switch.

Don't forward to the modem; set Bind up as a caching nameserver as per
the docs and make sure that /etc/resolv.conf has as first entry
"nameserver 127.0.0.1" and as second "nameserver ip.of.your.modem".

If you get a private address from tour modem's dhcp server, edit
/etc/rc.local something like:

sed -i s/192.168.1.254/127.0.0.1/ /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 192.168.1.254" >> /etc/resolv.conf

otherwise, every time you reboot your PC you'll get the modem as nameserver.

I have just this setup on this FC6 machine, with a Thomson speedtouch
ADSL router.

Best,

--Tonni

--