Reverse dns des not reach my IP

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 09:16:11 UTC 2007

This is because your ISP owns the DNS zone that looks up the reverse
mapping for your IP address.

Your DNS servers are authoritative for forward-mapping on mydomain.com,
but your ISP's DNS servers (or their IP registry) are authoritative for
1.123.123.123.in-addr.arpa (the reverse-mapping zone for your IP address).

Either:

1. ask your ISP to change the reverse DNS for your IP to the domain you
require
2. ask them to delegate 123.123.123.in-addr.arpa to your DNS servers
(which unless you own the entire 123.123.123.x range, it's unlikely
they'll do.)  I'm not sure if you can delegate a single record.

Option 1 is by far the easiest.

Andy.