Local resolution of some parent domain hosts

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Fri Apr 20 21:16:25 UTC 2007

> Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:58:18 -0400
> From: "Kerney, Stephen A" <stephen.a.kerney at usa-spaceops.com>
>
> Bowie,
>
> Until now, my DNS server authoritative for the a.b.c domain has
always gone to the b.c domain servers for host.b.c name resolution.

> I now have a requirement to resolve names using my a.b.c domain
server to IP-address-internal for host.b.c queries while the b.c domain
server resolves the same host.b.c query to IP-address-external.

> If I create a single b.c db file I found I'm no longer able to
resolve any hosts on the b.c domain that aren't in my b.c db file.

You have to have 14 db files - one for each host.

You could have, for example:

;
; file db.int
;
@ ( s o a )
;
; Zone NS Records
;
@ IN NS <name-server-NAME>.
;
; Zone records
;
@ IN A <some.IP.AD.DR>

named.conf:
[...]
zone "l.o.a.c" IN {
       type master;
       file "db.int";
       allow-update { none; };
};

zone "t.o.a.c" IN {
      type master;
      file "db.int";
      allow-update { none; };
};

zone "m.y.c" IN {
      Type master;
      file "db.int";
      allow-update { none; };
};

zone "d.m.y.c" IN {
      type master;
      file "db.int";
      allow-update { none; };
};

[... and so on...]

Hope this helps.

Regards,
GRegory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."