Local resolution of some parent domain hosts

Kerney, Stephen A stephen.a.kerney at usa-spaceops.com
Fri Apr 20 15:08:38 UTC 2007

Rather than create a name alias1.host1.b.c I was hoping to create the name alias1.b.c and have that name resolve to the same IP address as host1.b.c

For example, DNS has been configured for some time such that queries to host1.a.b.c returns an IP address such as 10.0.1.1.

Using your configuration example, queries to host1.b.c now return the same IP address of 10.0.1.1.

The current challenge:  Our software developers have given me a list of 14 host names on the b.c domain they want resolved to the same IP address of
10.0.1.1.

Therefore, queries to my DNS server for the following 15 names must all return an IP address of 10.0.1.1:

host1.a.b.c
host1.b.c
alias1.b.c
alias2.b.c
.
.
.
alias12.b.c
alias13.b.c

Must I have 15 db files, one to cover my a.b.c names and 14 for the 14 b.c names?

Steve

In article <f08kvu$2g0f$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Kerney, Stephen A" <stephen.a.kerney at usa-spaceops.com> wrote:

> Thanks Barry, that did the trick and I'm now using 3 different .db files to
> locally resolving 3 different fully qualified hostnames to the desired IP
> address on my "parent" domain.
>
> Here is an example syntax to a host1.b.c.db file (based on responses from
> October of last year to a similar question along with a couple of "DNS and
> BIND"
> comments thrown in for good measure).  Please correct me if I have a mistake
> somewhere.
>
> 	$TTL   3h
> 	@       IN      SOA     @ root.localhost (
>                                         3      ; Serial
>                                         3h      ; Refresh after 3 hours
>                                         1h      ; Retry after 1 hour
>                                         1w      ; Expire after 1 week
>                                         1h )    ; Negative caching TTL of 1
>                                 hour
>

> 	; Name Servers
>
> 	@       IN      NS      dns_server.a.b.c
>
> 	; Addresses for the canonical names
>
> 	@       	IN	A       	10.0.1.1
>

> Now I'd like to be able to add aliases to these .db files so I can, if
> possible, minimize the # of .db files supporting the b.c domain (e.g., 3
> instead of
> 23).  I tried adding a single CNAME entry to the above .db file without
> success:
>
> alias_name	IN	CNAME		host1.b.c.
>
> I also tried this:
>
> alias_name	IN	CNAME		@
>
> Is adding aliases to host.b.c.db files for use in an a.b.c domain supported
> without creating separate db files for each alias and, if so, how is this
> done?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to do with these aliases.  The
above alias creates a name alias_name.host1.b.c that's equivalent to
host1.b.c.  If that's what you want, it should work (except for the fact
that underscores aren't allowed in hostnames).

If that's not what you're trying to do, please clarify and we should be
able to help better.