logging channels problem with FreeBSD

Ritter, Nicholas Nicholas.Ritter at americantv.com
Mon Apr 16 02:28:46 UTC 2007

I have a server running FreeBSD 4.2 (i386) and BIND 8.4.2 and have
encountered a problem with logging that I can't seem to solve. I am not
the most familiar with FreeBSD, I did not set the box up originally. The
issue I am having is that the name server is working fine, but the
logging channels and output files I have setup (see below) are not doing
anything. The name server is not reporting any errors upon startup. When
I use ndc to raise the debug level, I get the named.run file and nothing
more.

Normally I would not put the log files in /etc/, but I was playing with
different file paths to make sure I did not have permissions issues. I
also level the debug level raised for a while to make sure left time to
for log data to be generated. Lastly, I logged the general named output
to a file (using the default channel) but nothing showed up in that file
either. Is there something that needs to be done to the OS to make
things happen? If this were Linux used in combinated with chrooted DNS
and/or SELinux extensions I could see less obvious issues like this, but
I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Any input would be appreciated, google searches did not come up with
much prior to my posting.

Nick

logging {
                channel lamer_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSLamers.log" versions 3 size
2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                };
                channel security_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSSecurity.log" versions 3
size 2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                };
                channel eventlib_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSeventlib.log" versions 3
size 2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                        print-time yes;
                };
                channel general_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSgeneral.log" versions 3
size 2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                        print-time yes;
                };
                channel config_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSConfig.log" versions 3 size
2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                        print-time yes;
                };
                channel insist_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSConsistancy.log" versions 3
size 2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;
                        print-time yes;
                };
                channel queries_ch {
                        file "/etc/namedb/DNSqueries.log" versions 3
size 2m;
                        severity dynamic;
                        print-severity yes;
                        print-category yes;