rndc reload <zone> doesn't send notify

Feargal Reilly feargal at fbi.ie
Thu Apr 12 16:35:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:17:10 +0300
"Wael Shahin" <wael.shahin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> maybe you want to give "also-notify " a shoot
> also-notify      { slave_server_ip; };

I hadn't tried that, it doesn't appear to make any difference,
the additinal notifies don't even kick in.

In my zone file, my NS records look like this:

	IN	NS	ns1.example.com.
	IN	NS	ns2.example.com.

When I update the serial and run rndc reconfig (with no
also-notifies set), it logs:

12-Apr-2007 16:01:29.330 info: zone domain.example/IN: sending
notifies (serial 2007041223)

12-Apr-2007 16:01:29.330 debug 3: zone domain.example/IN:
sending notify to 10.0.115.27#53

12-Apr-2007 16:01:29.330 debug 2: zone domain.example/IN: notify
to 10.0.115.27#53 failed: operation canceled

Now if I add another NS record:

	IN	NS	ns1.example.com.
	IN	NS	ns2.example.com.
	IN	NS	ns3.example.com.

and reload, the same thing is logged, and no attempt is made to
notify ns3.

Furthermore, if I swop the order:

	IN	NS	ns1.example.com.
	IN	NS	ns3.example.com.
	IN	NS	ns2.example.com.

now it attempts to notify ns3 (same failure), but doesn't try to
notify ns2.

Adding also-notify to both globally options and to the zone does
not make any difference, no additional notification attempts are
made after the first failure.

If I remove all additional NS records from the zone, just
leaving:

	IN	NS	ns1.example.com.

when I reload, it now attempts to notify the server specified in
the per-zone also-notify, again with the same "operation
canceled".

And when I remove the per-zone also-notify, and repeat, this
time the global also-notify kicks in.

So what appears to happen is a list of servers to notify are
built which consist of: The additional NS records in the zone
file; The also-notifies in the zone specification;
	the also-notifies in the global options.

It then tries the first in the list, and encounters some
problem, leading to the "operation canceled" error, and it
doesn't try any more - I guess the canceled operation is the
entire notify process. Why that is, I don't know.

BTW, I have tried this with another zone, same result.

--
Feargal Reilly, Chief Techie, FBI.
PGP Key: 0xBD252C01 (expires: 2006-11-30)