About the view function

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Fri Apr 6 13:28:49 UTC 2007

On 6 Apr 2007, at 06:17, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:

> There are Clients behind the Internet Server connect to the net...
> So, is it best to config the DNS with view function for the External (
> Internet Server ) and Internal ( Clients PC machine ) ?
> And there is Master DNS and Salve DNS...
>
> Is there an simple sample for the condition ?

	As Joe Yao pointed out, there are 'there are several different
	ways to set up "split DNS"', so there is no "simple sample".

	Besides, split DNS is simply a solution which allows you to make
	your domain appear different according to where the query is coming
	from (that is, according to who's asking).  If you don't need to
	show your domain differently in different directions, you don't
	need split DNS.  That might make life easier for you.

	It may be worth thinking about what you need to achieve, and
	working from there, rather than starting from features of (certain
	implementations of) the technology.

	One of the sometimes confusing things about the DNS is that it
	really is two different services, needing different, but sometimes
	overlapping, treatment.  One of these is where a network manager needs
	to provide a set of resolving DNS servers for the client systems on
	the network he manages.  In this case, no master or slave is needed,
	and things are very simple.  The other is where a domain holder needs
	to announce names (and related information) for the domain to the
	Internet as a whole, including the internal clients.  This is where
	authoritative nameservers come in (multiple masters, or a master and
	one or more slaves), and possibly (if you really need it) split DNS.
	It's important to know where the boundary lies between these two
	services, especially if some of your servers are providing both.

	If you let us know what you're trying to achieve, we'll be better
	able to know how to respond.  This might be off-list, as general
	DNS concept and design questions are probably off-topic for a BIND
	discussion list.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9