Subdomains for DHCP-enabled clients

Phusion phusion2k at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:36:03 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
> Phusion wrote:
> > I have been working on setting up DHCP and DNS and have been having
> > problems with dynamic DNS for the DHCP enabled clients. I have a zone
> > file for test.com for servers, etc, and another zone for DHCP-enabled
> > clients named mdnlan.test.com. Currently, the DHCP-enabled clients get
> > an IP address and have a computer name of hostname.mdnlan.test.com.
> > These clients use dynamic DNS and update the mdnlan.test.com zone
> > file. Servers have DNS names of hostname.test.com and accordingly are
> > in the test.com zone file. Here is an example of what I can't get
> > working. Here are the computer names.
> >
> > DNS server = smdndns.test.com
> > Test PC (DHCP client) = testpc.mdnlan.test.com
> >
> > Ping from testpc.mdnlan.test.com to smdndns = fails
> > Ping from testpc.mdnlan.test.com to smdndns.test.com = works
> >
> > Ping from smdndns.test.com to testpc = fails
> > Ping from smdndns.test.com to testpc.mdnlan.test.com = works
> >
> > I assume the problem has to do with the domain suffix or domain search
> > list. How can I go about changing this on the server so computers on
> > both domains can talk to each other. Also, I would prefer not to have
> > to manually add the server entries to both the test.com zone and the
> > mdnlan.test.com zone file.
> >

> You don't change this on the server, you change this on the client. For
> a DHCP-enabled client, you can supply a "domain name" option (Option
> #15) from the DHCP server, which should be honored by the client.
> Otherwise, you'll need to statically configure the client with this.
>
> Generally speaking, though, from a DNS infrastructure perspective, it's
> better to get into the habit of using FQDNs (fully-qualified domain
> names) for everything. That gives you the most efficient DNS resolution,
> with no ambiguity.
>

>                                     - Kevin

Here is a copy of my current dhcpd.conf file for the DHCP-enabled clients.

option domain-name "mdnlan.test.com";
option domain-name-servers smdndnsp1.test.com;
option option-176 code 176 = string;

default-lease-time 1800;
max-lease-time 3600;
authoritative;
ddns-domainname "mdnlan.test.com";
ddns-update-style interim;
one-lease-per-client true;
pid-file-name "/var/run/dhcpd.pid";
log-facility local7;

key mdnlan {
        algorithm HMAC-MD5.SIG-ALG.REG.INT;
        secret yfmizFMbQwJGDEAscbDv9+bnnxHUkzKoNbDvBm8pUEiwBZBkjEFni5RDvE9l5eRh5iVa9DzZaEo/iqLSErL6Pg==;
};

zone 1.1.10.in-addr.arpa. {
        key mdnlan;
        primary 127.0.0.1;