named listening on UDP

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Apr 4 13:22:10 UTC 2007

> Was the original issue misstated?  You said it was "listening" on these
> ports.  Outbound queries wouldn't be "listening" - they'd simply be
> established when needed.

	TCP connections are established as needed.

	UDP sockets have to listen for replies.  Named uses the
	one socket to talk to remote nameservers.  For a nameserver
	with any sort of recursive load named would quickly exceed
	the OS's ability to supply sockets if it was to open a new
	socket for each nameserver it queries.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org