Best allow-query setting on an authoritative-only nameserver

Ronan Flood usenet at umbral.org.uk
Tue Apr 3 20:19:03 UTC 2007

On 03 Apr 2007 00:30:51 +0100,
Chris Thompson <cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> better, what are the pros and cons of "allow-query {none;};" versus
> "allow-query {any;};" in this context? Is it better to reply REFUSED
> or to give a referral to the root nameservers? (I suppose one should
> also distinguish between "better for us" and "better for them".)

There's the possibility of data amplification in a DoS attack with a
spoofed source address.  REFUSED should be the same size as the query,
but a root referral might be much larger -- just trying it now using
"dig @ip . ns", the REFUSED is 17 bytes, the referral is more than
twenty times that size.

--
Ronan Flood <usenet at umbral.org.uk>