Make aliases that don't transfer?

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Apr 3 16:02:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 03 April 2007 08:18 am, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Either I didn't understand your last line or I didn't explain the
> setup here correctly.   There is only one zone file for the aliases.

I'm a kind of simplistic guy.  Maybe my explanation will help, and maybe
Mark will like it <smile>.

> It doesn't matter if any of the subsequent transfers are OK from that
> standpoint because it doesn't create multiple zone files even though
> it shows multiple transfers.  It is a single zone file and that is
> only that single zone file that transfers even if it transfers it
> multiple times.

Here's my understanding:

When the BIND master does zone transfers it doesn't do it from the zone
files; it does it from what it holds in memory.  Using single files to
describe multiple zones is accepted, even if it might be called a hack
(I used it for years until we started using softare to create our zone
files for us) still creates complete tables in memory for each zone.

When the BIND slave receives a zone transfer it puts it in the file in
your named.conf file, which may or may not point each zone to it's own
file.

Our system for auto-creating the slave named.conf creates a separate
filename target for each zone; yours may create only one filename.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, unless your zones change often you
might be best off using something like rsync to keep two master servers
in sync (which is what we used to do).

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517