Make aliases that don't transfer?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Apr 3 13:08:45 UTC 2007

> It's "a hack" - ok I'll buy that though I inherited the setup.  Is it a
> bad idea though?  Should I really make separate zone files for every
> domain when all we really use is a single web site to service them all?
>

> We have a single domain for email and all other purposes.   It is only
> because we have multiple business entities that we use separate domain
> names (essentially to insure people looking for us find our main web
> site).  What is the downside to using such "a hack"?
>
> I can live with the multiple zone transfers (especially given that if I
> DID separate into individual zone files I'd still have multiple zone
> transfers) but was just curious if there was a way to configure named
> not to transfer a given zone file.   Doing rsync wouldn't turn off zone
> transfers.  I'd still want my main zone files (the unaliased ones) to
> transfer.   Are you implying it is all or nothing?  If so why do I need
> to configure each zone?

	The zone declaration tells name what namespaces it is serving.
	It also set the $ORIGIN when the master file is read in.  This
	allows @ to be expanded appropriately for each zone.

	Note.  You shouldn't use the same file for the slaves.  Each file
	*must* be unique.  When named re-starts there is not way to make
	sure the file contents match the zone.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org