Architecture opinions

Steven Hajducko steven.hajducko at digitalinsight.com
Fri Sep 29 00:38:22 UTC 2006

Hi,
I've been given the task of completely redesigning our DNS for all of
our environments and I'd like some opinions or advice on how to do this.
First, a little background.

Each environment we have is split into 3 tiers ( typical web-app-db ).
Each tier is firewalled off from each other.  Each tier is also
firewalled off from our corporate environment.  We have 5 of these
environments.  Our security team does not allow UDP packets to traverse
firewalls.  We're also only allowed to perform single direction tcp
initiation, meaning that I can initiate connections from the corporate
network into one of the tiers of an enviroment, but that tier is not
allowed to initiate a connection the other way.

Also, each tier is only allowed to initiate a connection one way to the
next tier within it's own environment. ( web to app, app to db. )

The main goals of the project are:

1) One centrally located server to manage all records for all
environments.
2) Cut down as much as possible on how many DNS servers are needed.

There are some further complications, but I don't want to make this
impossible yet. :)

I'm not too concerned with the centrally managed server.  If needed, we
can write our own application/database to generate zone files from the
database.  I'm more worried about how to cut down on the amount of DNS
servers in each tier.  At the first look, it seems as if we would need 2
per tier ( for HA purposes ), one to be the master for that tier's zones
and a slave server for purposes of redundancy.  Because of some other 1
off tiers and environments, this ends up being about 66 DNS servers.
Not exactly a system admin's dream to manage.

At this point, I'm somewhat at a loss on how to accomplish this.  I was
thinking of creating some type of persistent tunnel through the
firewalls to jump back through to the db tier and using views to figure
out which zones to serve which requests, but I'm not sure if that'd work
too well.  That or I'm just going back to host files. ;P

Anyway, any advice or perhaps a finger pointing at something to look at
as a possible solution would be extremely welcomed. :)

Thanks.

sh