bind-9.3.2-33.fc5

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Thu Sep 28 15:58:36 UTC 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 5:13 PM, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 03:12:49PM -0700, broadcast wrote:
>> Well, I havent used the -4 option, everything seems to be working
>> properly with the ncache 1 second option.
>

> Ah.  Well this is useful feedback.  Thanks.

Broadcast had mentioned the ncache setting resolved the problem in a
option (people tend to stop trying things when they stumble upon
something that works:). Maybe you missed that Joe.

My question as a student of Bind and not an expert is this: is there
any "anti-social" behavior occurring because of the ncache being set
to such a short time? It would seem to me that this might cause
Broadcast's bind server to repeatedly query these bad domains (since
the negative response isn't being cached, therefore the domain isn't
in the cache ...), increasing traffic. If so, I would guess this can
be mitigated against by using the -4 option, reducing DNS noise on
Broadcast's servers. Or am I missing something or otherwise making a
mountain out of a molehill?

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com

No trees were harmed during the production of this email,
but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced ...