Queries for host command

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 27 17:47:03 UTC 2006

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <ef94d9$njj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  "ashish.sachan at gmail.com" <ashish.sachan at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Dear All,
>> I am new to DNS and trying the command , but getting following error,
>> # host www.linuxhomenetworking.com
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>> # host 65.115.71.34
>> ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>>
>> I am behind my institute's proxy ( 172.18.10.1 ) .....
>> what should i do to run host command.....
>>

> Make sure the nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf are correct for
> your institute's network.  Talk to the IT department to find out the
> correct server addresses.

Talk to your IT department *period*. It may be that all Internet access
is forced through application-level proxies, in which case there is no
need for internal clients to be able to resolve Internet names, and
therefore perhaps no way provided for them to do that. It may even be
the case that your attempts to resolve Internet names have been dropped
by the border firewall, and logged, so don't be surprised if you get a
call from your Security department...

                           - Kevin