Cannot Resolve .Net Domains

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 26 04:38:54 UTC 2006

In article <ef80co$1vq0$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:22:12PM -0700,
>  Will <westes-usc at noemail.nospam> wrote
>  a message of 9 lines which said:
>
> > On one of my DNS servers that is configured to do smart lookups, it
> > can resolve all .COM domains, but cannot resolve ANY .NET domains.
>
> dig +trace ? Log of BIND?

dig +trace won't help diagnose problems in the server, since it performs
the DNS hierarchy traversal in the client, not the server.

> > Would this indicate a problem with one of the root servers?
>
> I do not see why: the involvment of root name servers is the same for
> ".com" and ".net" (they just redirect to Verisign's name servers).
>
> > Which root server(s) handle .NET domains?
>
> None.

I think it's obvious that he means GTLD servers.  And in this case, the
answer is that the .NET and .COM domains are delegated to the same GTLD
servers -- (A through M).GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA