bind-9.3.2-33.fc5

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 21 22:58:19 UTC 2006

In article <eeu92l$1kbe$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Shaheen" <wael.shaheen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > 	These will almost always be the result of a bad delegation.
>
> What do yuo mean by bad delegation? the domains am trying to resolve
> are not hosted on my servers, they are external domains.

He means that there's some mismatch between the way that the domain is
delegated and the actual configuration of the servers it's delegated to.
It's not your problem, it's a problem with those external domains --
their DNS administrators have screwed up in some way.

> > > 3- Some records are cached even though TTL is expired.
> >
> > 	You are confused.  Named will not return a expired record.
>
> I also have internal DNS server the same version and let me give you an
> example about what happened.
> example.com = 1.1.1.1 then changed to 2.2.2.2
> from internal DNSexample.com resolves to 2.2.2.2, but External DNS
> still resolves to 1.1.1.1
> when i restart the daemon or rndc flush it starts resolving to 2.2.2.2

That means that the TTL of the old record hasn't expired yet.  What was
the TTL of the 1.1.1.1 record, and how long did you wait after changing
it?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA