failed forwarder timeout

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Sep 20 18:58:51 UTC 2006

This is fixed in BIND 9.3, which re-implements the RTT algorithm for
forwarders. (This was a feature of BIND 8 that was not recreated in
BIND 9 until version 9.3.)

I don't believe the two second delay is configurable.

Very busy servers typically use forwarding if the upstream server has
better bandwidth; otherwise, usually not. After all, one of the
primary reasons for using forwarding is to aggregate caching, but if
the servers configured to use a central forwarder are all really
busy, the forwarder probably will have to have faster hardware, more
RAM, and more available bandwidth to provide any real benefit. And it
will have to be closely monitored to make sure it doesn't get
overloaded and start hitting limits (like the one you mentioned).

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice
Take control of your network