Logging "all"

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Sep 18 21:50:05 UTC 2006

This should do the job:

logging {
	channel syslog {
		syslog named;
		severity dynamic;
	};
	category default { syslog; };
};

This will allow you to use 'rndc trace' or 'rndc trace N' (where N is
a debug level, such as 1 or 5) to change the amount of debugging
information you want it to log. By default, the threshold will be
debug 0 (which is equivalent to 'info').

It also allows you to use the configuration of syslogd to control how
and where to put messages from named, since it's using a unique
facility name. You can change "syslog named" to "syslog daemon" to
make this more standard.

Using the default category and nothing else means everything will be
logged except queries, which can be turned on using options
substatement 'querylog', or using the command 'rndc querylog'.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice
Take control of your network