DNS configuration on our domain

Steve Ingraham singraham at okcca.net
Fri Sep 15 18:36:04 UTC 2006

I want to thank SM for his help with my MX record problems I have been
having this week.  I would like also to thank everyone else who posted a
reply to my request.  I believe I may have the MX record for okcca.net
working correctly now but am not 100% sure.

Thanks to information provided by SM, okcca.net's MX is pointing to the
correct IP.  Also, I believe I have made all our domains (okcca.net,
occa.state.ok.us, mail.occa.state.ok.us) consistent so all our domains
MX records should be pointing to the same address (if anyone happens to
notice any other problems when they look at our domain please let me
know).

Below is the last email I sent to SM spelling out the corrections I have
made to okcca.net.  I am still a little concerned as to whether our
okcca.net domain is receiving all emails.  One of the reasons for this
concern is the fact that I have not received any emails from this BIND
mail list since 7:00 pm Sep 13th.  I am sending this to the mail list
but if I am still experiencing problems that keep me from seeing email
delivered from this mail list I will be unable to read the post.  If
this is the case I would ask that posters contact me through
steveingraham at hotmail.com as well as posting to the mail list.  If there
is anyone out there that can verify that my DNS settings are set
appropriately and might have information on why I may not be receiving
all emails after my changes to DNS I would appreciate hearing from you.
I am not convinced that I have eliminated all of my email delivery
problems.

Thanks,
Steve Ingraham

>I made the change to this line to show:
>
>okcca.net    MX    Default    10 mail.okcca.net

There is a MX record now.  You forgot a dot at the end of the
mail.okcca.net.  The correct form is:

okcca.net MX Default 10 mail.okcca.net.

>Ok, I have made this correction as stated above in my text.  There is
>one exception however so I have a question.  My intention for switching
>IP addresses from 204.87.111.225 to 204.87.111.232 was to move the
>delivery reception task away from qmail and onto Exchange.  I have the
>internal email server with Exchange 2000 and I have just put into place
>another email server running Exchange 2003 named MXI2.  I would like to
>move all incoming email to the MXI server instead of the qmail server
>with the future goal of having the Exchange 2003 server on MXI2 handle
>all the incoming email responsibilities.  So, with the changes you
>spelled out above for the okcca.net domain can I leave the value for
>mail.okcca.net at 204.87.111.232 with no ill effects?  Also, if this
>action resolves my problems of not having an MX for the okcca.net
domain
>I would like to attempt to set up the new Exchange 2003 server as the
MX