peculiar lookup timeouts

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 15 01:52:10 UTC 2006

In article <eec03u$1t4t$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Adam Young" <adamy at mountaincable.on.ca> wrote:

> > > 	In my experience, it is either a problem with the delegation
> > > 	or problems with middle boxes that stop lookups working
> > > 	99.9% of the time.  You use external delegation checkers for
> > > 	the first and packet tracers for the second.
> >
> > In particular, the most common cause of problems where lookups work when
> > you restart named, but later the same lookups fail, seems to be an
> > inconsistency between the delegation of the domain and the NS records in
> > the domain itself.  It can happen easily if the NS records in the domain
> > point to hostnames that are also in the same domain -- they won't have
> > glue records in the parent zone, and that will cause failures.  I've
> > also seen it happen when the hostnames that are in the delegation are
> > CNAME records in the domain itself.
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> In the case that the delegation and NS records are inconsistent, I suppose
> there is no solution since it would be a problem on the remote side of
> things, correct?

Right.

> I just figured in the case of 'godaddy.com' that this type of thing wouldn't
> happen.

And it doesn't look like it has.  dnsreport.com tests for all the
problem cases I mentioned, and it says that godaddy.com passes them all.

So I think something else is going on in your case, which you may be
able to troubleshoot by dumping the cache and/or enabling debug logging.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA