peculiar lookup timeouts

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Sep 14 04:17:01 UTC 2006

In article <eea5q0$2cfr$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> 	In my experience, it is either a problem with the delegation
> 	or problems with middle boxes that stop lookups working
> 	99.9% of the time.  You use external delegation checkers for
> 	the first and packet tracers for the second.

In particular, the most common cause of problems where lookups work when
you restart named, but later the same lookups fail, seems to be an
inconsistency between the delegation of the domain and the NS records in
the domain itself.  It can happen easily if the NS records in the domain
point to hostnames that are also in the same domain -- they won't have
glue records in the parent zone, and that will cause failures.  I've
also seen it happen when the hostnames that are in the delegation are
CNAME records in the domain itself.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA