DNS problems / unable to reach authoritative server?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Sep 13 22:58:20 UTC 2006

> Wait, I take that back. It worked for ONE server, which now seems to
> just magically have started working. Even after putting the system back
> to the default mode. The others still cannot resolve phila.gov. And your
> line suggested below
>
> query-source address * port 8765;
>
> Just makes my named unhappy and not start.  I tried calling a few people
> in the City of Philly, but got no where.
>
> Nick

	Welcome to the world of idiots with firewalls.  Blocking
	incoming traffic based on source port is stupid.  Blocking
	replies to traffic you let in is stupid.  There is a firewall
	in front of the DNS server that is doing one of these two
	things.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org