peculiar lookup timeouts

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 13 21:18:36 UTC 2006

Adam Young wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I tried searching the list for the answer to my question, and I saw some
> similar questions, but I wasn't sure that it was exactly the same.
>
> So here is the scenario:
>
> Running Bind-9.3.2P1, three servers: ns1(master) ns2,ns3(slaves).  Every
> once in a while a customer will call in saying that they cannot resolve a
> particular domain.
>
> So, I attempt to look up the domain via "ns1" and the lookup times out.  I
> lookup via ns2 or ns3 and it works (sometimes).
>
> As soon as I restart bind, everything works again.
>
> Also, we have an internal copy of bind running, which forwards queries to
> "ns1" and at the time when ns1 does not get an answer (while it is timing
> out) that system answers with the right data.
>
> If there is any more detailed information I can provide, please let me know.

Is ns1 the master for the zones that are having the problem? Or, are you
calling it a "master" even though, for purposes of troubleshooting this
problem, it's basically just a resolver? If it's just functioning as a
resolver, are the domains you're having problems with Internet domains
or domains that are strictly internal to your environment? If Internet
domains, then please enumerate them so we can take a look and see if we
can spot any obvious problems.

- Kevin