reverse dns delegation issue

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Sat Sep 9 23:58:51 UTC 2006

The problem is here:

ns3.digiportmiami.com.  14400   IN      CNAME   dns01.digiportmiami.com.
dns01.digiportmiami.com. 14400  IN      A       204.13.2.65

(The delegation contains the following glue:

ns3.digiportmiami.com.  172800  IN      A       204.9.64.4

But that doesn't help in all cases, since authoritative data is
better than glue.)

Having an NS record point to an alias (defined by a CNAME record) is
a no-no. If you control the zone 'digiportmiami.com', fix it.
Otherwise, if you control the reverse zone '6.13.204.in-addr.arpa',
find a new name server or define a new name for it, and then have
ARIN change the delegation.

If you don't control either zone, then the problem is external to you.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice
Take control of your network