New to DNS

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Sat Sep 9 12:05:59 UTC 2006

A zone is basically a point in the DNS tree, from which everything under
it is delegated to a server.

e.g.  Imagine this DNS path for server uk1 of my network:

uk
co.uk
mailnetwork.co.uk
exchange.mailnetwork.co.uk
uk1.exchange.mailnetwork.co.uk

My zone starts from mailnetwork.co.uk, which means
uk1.exchange.mailnetwork.co.uk is in the zone of mailnetwork.co.uk.
If I wanted, for example, the DNS of exchange.mailnetwork.co.uk to be on
a different nameserver (ie. a different zone) I would need to delegate
exchange to nameserver2 from within the zone mailnetwork.co.uk. Then,
exchange.mailnetwork.co.uk would be "sub-zone" of mailnetwork.co.uk

Generally speaking (although this is the incorrect way to think of it) a
zone is the "DNS description" of a domain (e.g. mailnetwork.co.uk.)
This is incorrect because zones can start from any point within a
domain, as explained briefly above.

So, in your case, for each of your domain names, you would have a zone -
which means 7 zones on your server.

www.xname.org is a good service to use as an outsouced secondary name
server - your domain names nameservers (set in your domain registrar's
control panel) would be set to NS1 - your server, NS2 - ns0.xname.org,
(optional NS3 - ns1.xname.org.)  Xname's servers would look to your
server for any changes in the zone file, and external clients could
query any of the 2/3 servers to get the records for your domain.

However, if you only want to setup these few sites and are too worried
about setting up the DNS server correctly, use Xname as both the primary
and secondary name servers - their web interface will have you up and
running quickly, then delegate your domain's DNSs to ns0.xname.org and
ns1.xname.org once the DNS is live on Xname's servers.

Andy.