DNS port requests

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 6 22:15:17 UTC 2006

Rasheed Darras wrote:
> What the meaning of these requests? Why a customer query my DNS for
> "port=xxxx" ???
>
> Rasheed

Oh, I see what you're saying now. I was misreading the output. It is a
_little_ odd for someone to be querying "port=xxxxx", but on the other
hand it doesn't really surprise me that much, since I eyeball our query
logs periodically and see all manner of crap there. Oftentimes a log
analyzer will misparse its input and then misinterpret something that
isn't meant to be a hostname -- e.g. some error text -- as a hostname,
and try to resolve it into an IP address. So sometimes I see query
sequences in rapid succession from the same client like ("file", "not",
"found") or whatever.

I think something similar is happening here, where a log analyzer is
mistaking the "port" field as a "hostname" field and then trying to
resolve the contents of that field. My guess would be that it's a
firewall or intrusion-prevention/-detection log they're trying to
analyze, since most other stuff doesn't really care about ports _per_se_.

- Kevin