Reload config without timeout of queries.

Jake Morrisey jmorrisey71 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 02:53:46 UTC 2006

Is it possible to reload Bind without having it timeout it's queries?
I have tried "rndc reload" and "rndc reconfig".  Both of them always
cause the name server to stop answering queries for a few seconds.
I thought that if you have multiple processors / threads that you could
possibly do this.  I have tried numerous configs / compile issues to
reload Bind when it runs in multiple threads / CPUs and I have not had
any success.

Has anyone been able to do this or is this the one limitation of Bind
that no one has a work-a-round for?

Please let me know either way... If there is no way of doing this with
the current source would someone (such as the ISC) be able to develop
one if paid to do so?  Or is the only option to use the database
backends?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter!
-Jake