rndc-confgen just hangs

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 11:28:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

I don't know much about FreeBSD or running BIND on it, but I
remembered that I saw this in the BIND FAQ:

Q:

I have FreeBSD 4.x and "rndc-confgen -a" just sits there.

/dev/random is not configured. Use rndcontrol(8) to tell the kernel to
use certain interrupts as a source of random events. You can make this
permanent by setting rand_irqs in /etc/rc.conf.

/etc/rc.conf
rand_irqs="3 14 15"

See also http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/randomness.html

(from http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/FAQ.php)