BIND 9 crapping out at 510 MB

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Oct 20 16:00:50 UTC 2006

At 10:34 AM 10/20/2006, Len Conrad wrote:
>fbsd 4.11
>BIND 9.3.2
>
>recursive-only named.
>
>On two different machines, 2 or 3 times each, when the named
>footprint reaches about 510 MB,
>queries fail with SRFVAIL,
>rndc flush and rndc stop don't work,
>rndc status does work
>
>kill named-pid  doesn't work
>
>we must "kill -KILL named-pid"
>
>To try to prevent the problem, we have added
>
>max-cache-ttl 43200
>
>to try to flush records at 12 hours max.
>
>Len

Hello,

You likely are running into the default value of a maximum of 512MB
per process in FreeBSD. Run limits and check to see. You need to make
modifications to the /boot/loader.conf file to increase it. More
information can be found in the FreeBSD handbook on adjusting these
values. Just take care not to adjust them to be too large or your
system may have problems booting.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain