about configure bind nxdomain redirect?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Oct 16 21:12:37 UTC 2006

shen Jason wrote:
> I want to redirect the nxdomain to the specified domain.when DNS resolve
> Non-existent host/domain,DNS can respond a IP address that DNS manager
> specified.but ,I donnt know how to configure in named.conf,somebody could
> help me,thanks.

It's not possible to do that globally with BIND. Within a particular
zone that you control, you could define a wildcard A record that would
return a particular A record for any query in that zone that otherwise
was not defined in the zone, however this wildcard would not apply
*outside* of zones under your control.

What I think you're really looking for is something at the app or proxy
level, to do this kind of redirection. That's off-topic for this list.

- Kevin