using $INCLUDE with views

Stefan Puiu stefan.puiu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 20:19:47 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Bill Larson <wllarso at swcp.com> wrote:
> I've been following this thread and simply tried to replicate what
> you were running into.  In particular, I was looking for an answer to
> the "no current owner name" message.  I simply created a zone file,
> "db.test", that looks like this:
[...]
> Now, going back to the BIND ARM, there is a note along with the
> description of the $INCLUDE statement:
>
>         RFC 1035 specifies that the current origin should be restored after
> an $INCLUDE,
>         but it is silent on whether the current domain name should also be
> restored. BIND 9
>         restores both of them. This could be construed as a deviation from
> RFC 1035, a feature, or both.
>
> So, the issue is what is the origin defined as AFTER the include
> statement.  Apparently how BIND is operating, the origin hasn't been
> defined before the $INCLUDE is performed and so with the $INCLUDE is
> completed the origin is again undefined.  This is the cause of the
> "no current owner name" message.

This is only to clarify: the ARM says that the $ORIGIN is defined to
be the zone name if not otherwise specified:
<quote>
When a zone is first read in there is an implicit $ORIGIN <zone-name>
</quote>
That's from the same section I quoted in my post earlier today.

The problem is not the $ORIGIN (the domain appended to any hostnames
which don't end in a dot (.) in the zone file), but the current domain
after the $INCLUDE directive, that is, the owner for the NS records -
that one is undefined.

I agree with the rest of the explanation, though.

Stefan.