Wildcard on whole DNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Oct 9 03:02:09 UTC 2006

> Hey All,
>
> 	This might sound like a silly question. but here goes.
>
> 	I want to setup a DNS server which when queried for ANY domain, will
> respond with a specific IP address.
>
> 	This is so that customers who are overdue get a website explaining
> why they are not able to reach the internet.  Their IP's are changed (and
> DNS) and they can't go anywhere except in our local network.
>
> .Skeeve

	Why don't you just intercept all their HTTP traffic and
	block everything else.  Mark all the returned pages as
	not cachable.

	This is less likely to break automated traffic.

	Otherwise:

	. 0 SOA . . 0 0 0 0 0
	. 0 NS .
	*. 0 A 1.2.3.4
	*. 0 AAAA 2002::1

	and *only* have a http server on the addresses.  You won't
	want to be accused of intecepting email, etc.

--
ISC Training!  October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
covering topics from DNS to DHCP.  Email training at isc.org.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org