Zone Template

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Sat Oct 7 20:11:38 UTC 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Sten Carlsen wrote:

> Doesn't work on 9.21, I just get "hostmaster."  in an soa query
> from dig.
>
> I know 9.21 is ancient (the whole system is waiting to be replaced)
> but
> has this changed since then? If so, about when.

This functioned back in BIND-8.  Actually, it worked in BIND-4 but
those were the good old days.

If you are using the same zone file that you showed previously, what
was your origin with the SOA record?  If your origin were simply ".",
then you get exactly what you said.  You would end up with just
"hostmaster.".  Any unqualified name, any name that does not end with
a period, is fully qualified by adding the value of the origin to them.

If you use relative names, the names are relative to the origin.  If
your origin is ".", you basically have defeated the ability to use
relative names.  If your origin were "domain_hosted.com", then any
name would be fully qualified with "domain_hosted.com".

For example, if your origin were "domain_hosted.com" and your SOA
record simply specified "hostmaster" as the RNAME (email address),
then this RNAME would be fully qualified as
"hostmaster.domain_hosted.com".

Now, my rant, why do people think that they must specify the origin
at the beginning of their zone files?  There is no need for this as
Barry demonstrated.

Bill Larson