Accuracy of DNSStuff reports

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Wed Nov 29 22:47:40 UTC 2006

>But showing a FAIL on a working site is just
>an open invitation to misunderstanding and confusion.

The problem I have had for years with dnsreports is that the
logorrhea of the text confuses and misleads as much as it
informs.  Rather than using terms commonly used in DNS discussion and
taken mostly from the DNS RFCs, it used to have synonyms that
confusingly hid the canonical jargon.

eg, it used to flag as an WARNing "missing glue" when when .com
domain had NSs under .org.  Every went around trying fix their "missing glue".

It used to call the .com/.net parent servers the root servers.

I bet people have spent 1000s of hours wild-goose chasing and trying
to fix  DNSReports warnings and failures that weren't either.

The original DNSReprts guy absolutely refused my suggestions for
clarifying and simplifying his text and for using DNS jargon rather
WTF-is-does-that-mean? synonyms.

Len