Vounerability if master dies - redundancy needed or not?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Nov 23 10:38:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:19:51AM +0100,
 Ronni Jensen <roj at mvb.dk> wrote
 a message of 32 lines which said:

> Question 1) If the master crashes or for some the slaves cannot
> reach it, will the slaves keep serving their known data,

Yes, for a duration, indicated by the "expire" field of the SOA.

> Question 2) In case that the answer to question 1 is that it will still
> work regardless of how long the master is down,

No, not "regardless". See above.

> what will happen if I reboot one of the slave servers? Will the
> slave still have the zonefiles stored that it got transferred from
> the master earlier?

Yes.

BTW: if you're concerned about possible failures (and you are right),
I suggest that you do not trust me blindly and that you test
yourself in the lab...