Recursion off\forward

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 20:29:46 UTC 2006

1. Resolver sends a query gets only a CNAME in the response
2. Resolver looks up the target of the CNAME and it resolves to an A record

Sure, it's more *convenient* to get the A record in the first step. But
any fully-featured (= iterative) resolver should be able to get the A
record "the hard way" if it needs to.

Perhaps you don't understand that a real resolver follows a whole
*algorithm* for resolving names, which might involve several different
lookups. A lookup tool like dig or nslookup, however, in the absence of
any special configuration, options, etc. just does individual lookups so
it may only be showing you *part* of the overall resolution process, a
piece of the puzzle, as it were. You could try the +trace option to dig,
if you want to see something more like a full DNS-resolution sequence.

- Kevin