I need to manage multiple domains

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:47:49 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Ryan McCain wrote:

> What i'm saying is wouldn't a symbolic link not work because each zone
> file needs to have their zone (domain) defined at the start of its
> respective file.
>
> If I linked domain2.com.zone to domain1.com.zone, it will be declared
> as domain1.com at the top of the zone file.
>
> I must be missing something.

In a zone file, BIND lets you use the at sign (@) to refer to the zone
to which
named.conf assigns the zone file.  Using it, zone files can be created
that do not include their own zone name.

The O'Reilly book, "DNS & Bind Cookbook" shows this solution and
other sometimes-useful lore.  By coincidence, O'Reilly has the section
of the book demonstrating this particular issue online:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/chapter/ch02.pdf

John Wobus
Cornell CIT