"Stealing" an outside domain within a LAN

Wes Groleau groleau+news at freeshell.org
Sun Nov 19 04:51:41 UTC 2006

I am successfully running BIND 9.2.2 on MacOS 10.3.9
to give all my machines 192.168 addresses with a TLD
of "local"

But I also want to "shanghai" some unsavory
malware domains.  In other words,
if my Windows box asks the Mac for
subdom.I-spy.com the Mac should return
"not found" instead of going out to the
root nameservers.

How do I do that?

I should be able to just put them in my hosts file,
but (1) that won't catch any subdomains I didn't predict
and (2) there seems to be a bug in this version of Mac OS
in that it ignores the config file commands to use
/etc/hosts first and goes to DNS instead.

--
Wes Groleau

    "Thinking I'm dumb gives people something to
     feel smug about.  Why should I disillusion them?"
                             -- Charles Wallace
                             (in _A_Wrinkle_In_Time_)