Is there a way to exclude a RR during a zone transfer?

Walt Park waltpark at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 03:02:56 UTC 2006

Hi Kevin.
branchoffice.mainoffice.com will have it's own SRV records.

We're trying to keep the branchoffice AD a separate entity, because of
country borders.
But, we want to share namespace because it's still one company that will
have internal connections.

So, I want to use mainoffice.com.countrycode on the net, and
countrycode.mainoffice.com internally.

I've been told by my Windows admins that because of the way AD works, if we
push mainoffice.com namespace to branchoffice.mainoffice.com,  then the
branchoffice.mainoffice.com AD will allow mainoffice.com auth to work
because it assumes that it is a child of mainoffice.com because of a
child.parent.domain naming convention in Windows.

So, if I want to use country.mainoffice.com convention internally, I need to
make sure that the name servers at country.mainoffice.com never get SRV
records from mainoffice.com