Public DNS with NAT IP

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Nov 17 14:37:57 UTC 2006

guy cipher" <guy.cipher at gmail.com> wrote, in part,

>Hi,
>I'm setuping the BIND 9.3 on Solaris 9 server having private IP address. The
>Firewall is doing mapping (NATing) the public IP to the private IP address.
>Let's say 198.16.1.4 -> 172.31.31.99.
>
>The current DNS server is working fine having public IP is working fine.
>When I copied all the configuration from current DNS server to another
>server having private IP (172.31.31.99).  The configuration is same only the
>server IP is private.  The DNS server is not resolving properly the queries
>for non-authrorartive server, but it does resolves the all A records defined
>in the DNS configuration.
>
>When I run 'nslookup' it generates meesage "can't find server name for
>address 172.31.32.5". It resolves the queries from "127.0.0.1" loopback
>address. Sometimes it generates "No address (A) records available.

This message from nslookup is one reason why nslookup is NOT a DNS
debugging tool.  The first thing that nslookup does is to verify that
the DNS server you are using is registered properly in DNS.  In this
case, it appears that the address

     172.31.32.5

is not registered in DNS, so nslookup will not use it as a DNS server.
Somewhat cryptic error message and quit.  Use dig (that comes with BIND)
instead.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov