Bind not answering to extern?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Nov 15 21:08:08 UTC 2006

> Hello,
>
> I have got a bind-dns, but I cannot receive its managed domains from
> outside.
>
> nslookup from server-console:
>
> Server:         xx.xx.xx.xx
> Address:        xx.xx.xx.xx#53
>
> Name:   mydomain.de
> Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
>
> nslookup from another client:
>
> Server:         UnKnown
> Address:        169.168.0.1
>
> *** mydomain.de cannot be found by UnKnown: Server failed
>

> Greetings and thank you in advance for any help,
>
> Susanne

	Sorry my crystal ball is broken.

	Honestly, how did you expect anyone to help you when you
	hide all the relevent information?  One could speculate
	a lot but that is a waste of everybody's time.

	What are the domain names?
	What are the external addresses of the servers?
	Is the NAT box correctly configured?
	What extra processing beyond destination address translation
	does the NAT box do to DNS packets?
	Are the firewalls correctly configured?

	Mark

--