BIND 9 with views recursion issues

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 15 03:10:20 UTC 2006

In article <ejctr4$27hj$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "FredrichManey" <fredrichmaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> More detail......
>
> When diagnosing the issue I get truly odd and inconsistent results. By
> specifying different options to 'dig' I can sometimes resolve, and
> sometimes not.
>
> For example, one of the sites that is failing is www.samsclub.com.
> Here's the output from 'dig' with various options:
>
> root at dns02# dig @10.3.8.101 www.samsclub.com
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @10.3.8.101 www.samsclub.com
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
>

> root at dns02# dig @10.3.8.101 +trace www.samsclub.com
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @10.3.8.101 +trace www.samsclub.com
> ; (1 server found)

Using +trace is almost never a good way to test a caching server.  This
option causes dig to do its own iteration starting from the root
servers, rather than asking the caching server to recurse.  I think it
only uses the caching server to resolve the hostnames in NS records, it
doesn't use it to resolve the name you're actually trying to look up.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA