Yet another forwarding question.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Nov 6 22:43:16 UTC 2006

Nicolas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work for a large company, which have several local Internet access.
> Most site have locally managed DNS, which might be configured to forward
> to local ISP's DNS or to use the ROOT servers using a hint zone.
>
> A couple of central DNS host internal versions of our zones (with
> RFC1918 address), so that internal requests use internal WAN instead of
> Internet when applicable.
>
> For this purpose, all internal DNS must be setup to forward to central
> DNS for our zones, instead of forwarding to local ISP or ROOT servers.
>
> The problem is that we have *many* (I mean **MANY**) zones with RFC1918
> address, and the zone list is growing every times someone from the
> marketing department have a new idea :-(
>
> I'm now looking for a way to have the "internal forwarding list"
> centrally managed, instead of having to tell to every local DNS admin to
> add another internal forwarding to the local DNS configuration so often.
>
> Is there some sort of "hint" zones which allow for NS records for
> non-root domains and act like a slave zone ? This sound like pre-loading
> the DNS cache with very long TTL NS records, and having those NS record
> override possible local forwarder configuration.

No, no such facility currently exists in BIND, to my knowledge.

But it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to define a "special"
zone that could be used by some cron script to build a named.conf
"include" file, containing definitions of the various zones of interest.
I would consider using stub or slave zones instead of forwarding though.
What you're basically looking for is a "delegation override", which can
take different forms, with different tradeoffs; here is a link to a post
containing my still-evolving mini-FAQ on the subject:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=bind-users&m=116069122017244&w=2

                        - Kevin