Bind 9.2.4, views, and different class Bs

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 1 18:08:41 UTC 2006

Clear as mud. Is that 3 views, 4 views or 5? Based on what you wrote
below, I'm thinking you mean 5 views -- 1 "anti-virus" view for each of
3 backbone routers, then a generic "anti-virus" view, and lastly a
regular (i.e. not "anti-virus") view for everything else.

Why don't you just draw up a matrix of which sets of clients need to see
which versions of the namespace? Might make it easier to plan your view
configuration.

I think the important part you're missing too, is that there is no "fall
through" for views. The nameserver tries to match each view in sequence
and once a match is found, that's the view that is given to the client
*for*everything*. So if you want, say, 168.192.in-addr.arpa available
for different clients matching different views, you need to define and
maintan a 168.192.in-addr.arpa for *every* view that those clients will
match. The nameserver isn't going to match one view, notice that the
zone containing the name being queried isn't defined in that view, and
then "fall through" to other views until it finds a name match. That's
just not how the algorithm works.

                              - Kevin