Multiple CNAMEs - howto?

Peter Koch pk at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Wed Nov 1 15:47:26 UTC 2006

andy.shellam at mailnetwork.co.uk wrote:

> Yes, I was talking more about "dumb mail clients" (ie. not MTA servers
> acting as clients).  MTA servers yes, would use the MX records to first
> try and deliver a mail.

MX RRs exist to publish the names of mail servers that accept incoming mail
for their domain (owner name). There is no corresponding RR type or DNS
based scheme to communicate the appropriate servers for message submission.
Therefore, they are usually configured by name and resolved to A (or AAAA)
RRSets.

-Peter