MX pointing to CNAME

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed May 31 08:23:33 UTC 2006

On 31 May 2006, at 00:33, Peter Dambier wrote:

> Pete Ehlke wrote:
>> On Tue May 30, 2006 at 18:46:37 +0200, Peter Dambier wrote:
>>
>>> If you ask the inventors of CNAME they will tell you CNAME was
>>> not a good
>>> idea after all. If you can, avoid them. They will at best cost
>>> time to look
>>> up.
>>
>> Oh, really? References for this claim are where, exactly? DJB has
>> ranted
>> about this at some length in the past, and his acolytes tend to
>> parrot
>> the words, but please, show me where "the inventors of CNAME" have
>> said
>> such a thing.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt

Peter Dambier cited selectively from this source, omitting the
following.

    However CNAMEs are
    useful (and encouraged) for generalized names for servers -- `ftp'
    for your ftp server, `www' for your Web server, `gopher' for your
    Gopher server, `news' for your Usenet news server, etc.

Best regards,

Niall O'Reilly
University College Dublin Computing Services

PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9